Saturday, May 17, 2014

Little League of His Own

Little league is upon us. My boy is learning to play baseball in an instructional league this summer. So far he likes it a lot more than soccer. ('MURICA!)

Soccer is fun, but at the entry level it's just a bunch of kids all running around in a herd trying to kick the ball at the same time. I think Jono likes getting his own turn to step up to the plate. And that's really the essential moment in baseball, isn't it? No matter what happened in the last play, the next batter has to step into the batter's box. Baseball is a team sport but every play starts with an individual opportunity. Batter versus pitcher. It combines teamwork with rugged individualism. Seriously, God bless America. I love it.

As Jono has started to enjoy baseball, we've started watching more games together and even watching some baseball movies. A few weeks ago, I decided A League of Their Own would be a film the whole family could agree on. It has baseball for the kid, baseball-in-history for me, and women's issues/baseball/relationships for my wife. Plus, it has Tom Hanks. And everyone knows that Tom Hanks is the best at everything. If you don't agree, just stop reading this blog. Seriously, what's wrong with you? You need Jesus.1

To be honest, I didn't think the movie made much of an impression on my boy. But, as usual, I was wrong.

Last night at baseball practice, an adorable four-year-old shortstop sustained an injury. (Don't worry, it wasn't anything career-ending.) He started sobbing. And he just wouldn't stop. My son walked over to talk to him. The boy kept crying. Eventually, his mom walked out onto the field and calmed him down. Play resumed.

After practice, I asked Jono what happened to the other little boy.

"He fell down on his knee," Jono said.

"But it wasn't because you pushed him or anything?"

"No."

"Well, what were you trying to say to him when he was crying?" I asked.

"Well, he was just breaking the rules of baseball," Jono replied.

"What do you mean?"

And then, in a decent impression of Mr. Tom Hanks, Jono said...

"There's no crying in baseball!"



I think I might wait a while before I show him Field of Dreams.






1 This is actually true. You need Him. We all do. Talk to me sometime for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment